Thursday, April 15, 2010

Keeping Track of my 3day

My 3day journey started about four years ago I signed up to walk and had even joined a team. I was pumped and excited I was ready to go or so I thought. A couple of months in a Dr. visit cameback with less than perfect news. I had Thyroid Cancer the doctor told me well " it is the easiest cancer"and maybe it is since it was found early. I had surgery to remove my thyroid a couple of rounds of radiation and a lifetime of taking a replacement hormone. Sounds pretty easy when you can type it out in 3 little sentences but the truth is I was scared to death. I was a single Mom of two great kids and no idea what to do next. Needless to say this kinda shook-up my world I pulled myself out of the 3day and spent the next few years really looking at how I lived my life. It sounds so cliche but I really thought "wow...you have a couple of choices here". You can spend the rest of your life always looking over your shoulder worrying will the cancer come back somewhere else. Or you can live life, enjoy your kids do something to make a difference something that matters. And well I don't know about you but the latter sure sounds like more fun.

So here I am 4 years later, finally retired from youth sports my kids are young adults and Mom has a lot of time on her hands. What better thing to do than what I started 4 years ago. By taking a stand and doing something to rid this world of cancer. I have spent the last couple of months reading and learning what it will take to walk 60 miles in 3 days. I have meet (well kind of thru blogs and facebook) some very awesome people that have already decided to take a stand and fight. I have learned that there is so much more to this event than just getting up in November and walking 60 miles. There is training of the feet, of the mind, of the spirit. There is the challenge of raising $2300.00.  There is gear to buy and break-in, you might get a few blister but you sure don't want an extra sore spot because a pair of shorts really didn't fit that well. LOL

 I was walking the other night when I realized I was letting this journey start without a journal of some sort. So I started thinking I could buy a cute little book, but I am not much for sitting down and writing. I could try taking pictures along the way, but they don't say everything. I could even try a voice recorder while I was walking but then listening to the ipod or talking with my walking buddy would be hard. So how was I going to track this amazing journey.....an electronic "cute little book" I could blog it as so many others have and then maybe one day I could really take the time to put it in some cute little book and have something special to recall my first 3-day event.

So this is me in a nutshell and why I want to blog.


Tanya

www.the3day.org/goto/miccroft

2 comments:

  1. Awesome - glad your cancer is "treated", glad you're moving forward in your life, and glad you're walking and blogging! I'm looking forward to reading more! :-)

    ReplyDelete